China calls additions to US economic blacklist “unreasonable deletion”

SHANGHAI (Reuters) – China’s Commerce Ministry said on Sunday it “strongly opposes” adding 23 Chinese entities to a U.S. economic blacklist on issues such as alleged human rights violations and military ties.

In a statement quoting a spokesperson, China’s Ministry of Commerce said the inclusion of Chinese entities was a “serious violation of international economic and trade rules” and an “unreasonable suppression” of Chinese companies.

The Chinese government “will take the necessary measures to protect China’s legitimate rights and interests,” the statement said.

The US Department of Commerce said on Friday it had added 14 companies and other entities to its economic blacklist, saying they had been “implicated in human rights violations and abuses in the implementation of the crackdown campaign, mass detention and high-tech surveillance against Uyghurs, Kazakhs and other members of Muslim minority groups in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region. “

Beijing denies the alleged abuses.

Entities on the economic blacklist are generally required to apply for licenses from the Department of Commerce and are subject to scrutiny when requesting permission to receive items from US suppliers.

Washington also added five entities that directly support China’s military modernization programs related to lasers and combat management systems. He identified four other entities to “export and attempt to export items” to entities already sanctioned by the United States.

In 2019, the Commerce Department led by then-President Donald Trump targeted 20 Chinese public security bureaus and eight companies, including video surveillance company Hikvision, as well as leaders in facial recognition technology SenseTime Group. Ltd and Megvii Technology Ltd, on China’s treatment of Muslim minorities.

(Reporting by Andrew Galbraith; Additional reporting by Ryan Woo in Beijing; Editing by Lincoln Feast)

Comments are closed.